Failed officers at galamsey-wrecked areas to be replaced by commanders: Interior Minister

The Interior Minister, Muntaka Mohammed Mubarak, has announced Police Commanders stationed in illegal mining areas will soon be reassigned to enhance the fight against illegal mining (galamsey) activities.
During a meeting with Islamic and Zongo leaders at the Asawase Central Mosque, Kumasi, Ashanti Region, today, Thursday, April 3, 2025, he stated officers who will be transferred will be replaced with new commanders.
The reason for this change was to ensure a more effective fight against galamsey, as many commanders have overstayed in their posts without making significant efforts to combat the issue.
The minister, who doubles as the Asawase legislator, also mentioned the new commanders would be reshuffled within three months if they failed to demonstrate progress in the fight against illegal mining.
He noted some police commanders in galamsey areas had allegedly conspired with those engaged in the illegal act, which had undermined efforts to combat the practice.
As part of galamsey fighting measures, Mr Muntaka emphasised the chassis number of vehicles, particularly excavators spotted at illegal mining sites, woukd be tracked to identify their owners, who would then face legal consequences.
He also indicated foreigners, especially Chinese and Indian nationals involved in galamsey and other fraudulent activities, would be deported.
He indicated about 107 foreigners, including 92 Chinese, had been deported since he took office, and that 13 Chinese individuals were arrested today and will also be deported.
He said his priority as interior minister was not to prosecute these foreign nationals but to deport them to avoid lengthy court proceedings.
The minister said he had officially communicated with the Chinese and Indian Ambassadors to alert their citizens about the need to seek security clearance from their respective countries before entering Ghana.
Mr Muntaka noted in 2024 alone, over 7,000 Chinese and 8,000 Indians had requested residential permits to stay in Ghana.
To reduce these numbers, he proposed foreigners must present a minimum investment of $200,000 to be eligible for residential permits.
He also disclosed government will be embarking on mass re-registration of small and light firearms that were in the hands of citizens, through digital means, to raid unregistered guns.
He said the exercise would follow intensive swoop exercises to ensure society was rid of unregistered guns for the sake of public safety.
Source: classfmonline.com
Trending News
Bono Regional Minister donate food items to Sunyani Central Prisons on behalf of Ibrahim Mahama
13:50Roads Minister orders commencement of works on Ashaiman-Afienya and Tema Motorway-Dawhenya stretches
11:08Energy Minister finds some missing ECG containers at Shai Hills
13:01GA/R: President Mahama orders demolition of buildings on waterways at Mallam Junction
12:25Bono: Yawhima Zongo chief calls for unity among Muslim chiefs to foster development
11:03GA/R: Chief of Ashaiman warns against renting irrigation lands to squatters
11:34Ghana Police and Immigration Service ranked most corrupt institutions – Survey
12:12Bono Regional Minister calls on Muslims to help combat illegal mining
10:44Ministry of Works and Housing calls for collaboration to combat water pollution
10:04V/R: Women of Agortime Ziope decry lack of female representation in DCE appointment
13:57