Narcotics Commission destroys $3m worth of cocaine haul

The Narcotics Control Commission on Friday destroyed $3 million worth of cocaine seized in a joint operation at the Terminal Three facility at the Tema Port on September 2, this year.
It followed a destruction order from the Accra High Court granted the Commission last Wednesday to undertake the exercise, while an investigation into the seizure continues.
The 150 kg haul was wrapped in slabs and concealed in a sugar consignment from Brazil.
It was meant for Tradepass Ghana Limited, the importer, who, according to officials, claimed the consignment was to be re-exported to Europe.
At the destruction ground at the Bundase Military Range in the Greater Accra Region, officials of the Commission poured kerosene on the slabs, containing a white powdery substance in an open space and set them ablaze.
Representatives from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Ghana Standards Authority (GSA), National Security, the Attorney General’s Department, as well as a Registrar from an Accra High Court, witnessed the destruction.
Briefing
Briefing journalists at Bundase, the Head of Communication and Media Relations at the Commission, Mr Francis Opoku-Amoah, indicated that it had become necessary to undertake the destruction in line with the commissions’ regulation, which prescribed early destruction of illegal substances as and when they were seized.
He said the bulky consignment coupled with the lack of stock space also prompted officials to seek the court order to undertake the exercise, while some quantity of the drug had been preserved in the court to aid future possible prosecution.
The docket on the case, Mr Opoku-Amoah indicated, had since been forwarded to the Attorney-General’s Department for advice on how to proceed with the case.
Arrests
While Mr Opoku-Amoah will not disclose further details on the number of people that had been arrested in connection with the seizure, he stressed that those who were initially arrested had been granted police enquiry bail.
“I can only say that a number of people were arrested and have been granted bail and as and when we need them, we invite them to our offices,” he said.
The country, Mr Opoku-Amoah stated, was occasionally used as a transit point for cocaine haul, hence the continued enhancement of skills and capacity of staff of the commission to ensure that it did not become a favoured transit hub of drug peddlers.
Asked whether there could be no alternative use for the drugs in the country aside from destroying it, Mr Opoku-Amoah explained that the laws regulating the commission’s activity only made provision for destruction and nothing else.
Background
A package, with a bill of laden number MEDUST209567 which had 27,000 bags of Brazilian white crystal sugar with a gross weight of 1,350 tonnes, was consigned to a local freight forwarding agency, Global Cargo and Commodities Limited, at the time of the seizure.
Source: Graphic Online
Trending News
President Mahama to launch 'Feed Ghana Programme' in Techiman
14:24W/R: Police arrest 11 for illegal mining and river pollution in Tarkwa-Nsuaem
12:02High Court reduces bail condition for former NSB Director-General and wife
15:21Mahama to assent to removal of E-levy, Emission levy, and Betting tax – Finance Minister
06:37Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor wins case against former Chief of Staff over illegal sale of Kumasi Technical University vehicles
14:08Tain MP raises concerns over ECG’s financial mismanagement and missing containers
11:44Bono NDC Women demand MCE appointment for Hajia Fatimatu Abubakari
16:12A&C Mall assures vehicle owners its insurers will 'fully' cover 'necessary repairs' after parking lot collapse
02:27Bono Regional Minister donate food items to Sunyani Central Prisons on behalf of Ibrahim Mahama
13:50Roads Minister orders commencement of works on Ashaiman-Afienya and Tema Motorway-Dawhenya stretches
11:08