'Compensate us' – Parents of 10-day-old baby who died during circumcision at KNUST Hospital

The parents of 10-day-old baby, Faraj Mohammed, who lost his life during circumcision at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) hospital, are demanding compensation from the facility.
The parents, residents of Anloga in the Oforikrom Municipality, have acknowledged that the hospital cannot bring their baby back to life. However, they want the university hospital authorities to compensate them for the loss of their son.
The father of the deceased baby, 36-year-old Mohammed Jamal, spoke to Class 91.3 FM’s Ashanti Regional Correspondent, Elisha Adarkwah, on Wednesday, 19 July 2023, narrating the circumstances leading to the loss of his son on Monday, 3 April 2023.
He noted that as a couple, they took their 10-day-old baby to KNUST for circumcision, where a nurse checked the baby and confirmed the baby was okay for the procedure.
The nurse took the baby into the theater, but about twenty minutes later, rushed out to the Nurses' station to call other nurses into the theater.
The father of the baby wondered what was happening, but after a couple of minutes, about four doctors also rushed into the theater.
After an hour, the father of the deceased baby revealed he overheard one of the doctors say the baby’s heart was now in stable condition, but they would have to transfer him to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital for further treatment. The parents were informed, and they consented.
After a while, the same doctors went inside the theater again, invited the couple to a private room, where they were told that during the circumcision process, the baby had a cardiac arrest. The medical team tried to stabilize him, after which they wanted to transfer him to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital.
According to the doctors, they did their best, but they were unable to save the baby.
The father of the baby further narrated that together with his family, he informed the hospital administrator about the incident, and subsequently, a meeting was held with his family, where the matron and two other senior doctors of the hospital were also present.
The hospital staff commiserated with the family and promised to get back to them. However, the father of the deceased baby said nothing was heard from the hospital.
He, therefore, sought the services of a lawyer, who wrote to the hospital. The couple was subsequently invited by the hospital director for a meeting, during which they agreed to compensate the family, but nothing has been heard from them since then.
“Right now, they cannot revive my son or bring my son back to me, but at least they can compensate us for the pain and trouble that my wife went through during the 9-month pregnancy and the labor pain and all my wife went through,” the father of the baby stated.
The incident has since affected the mother of the deceased baby, 27-year-old Halimatu Adams.
Source: classfmonline.com
Trending News
President Mahama to launch 'Feed Ghana Programme' in Techiman
14:24W/R: Police arrest 11 for illegal mining and river pollution in Tarkwa-Nsuaem
12:02High Court reduces bail condition for former NSB Director-General and wife
15:21Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor wins case against former Chief of Staff over illegal sale of Kumasi Technical University vehicles
14:08Tain MP raises concerns over ECG’s financial mismanagement and missing containers
11:44Bono NDC Women demand MCE appointment for Hajia Fatimatu Abubakari
16:12Bono Regional Minister donate food items to Sunyani Central Prisons on behalf of Ibrahim Mahama
13:50Roads Minister orders commencement of works on Ashaiman-Afienya and Tema Motorway-Dawhenya stretches
11:08Energy Minister finds some missing ECG containers at Shai Hills
13:01GA/R: President Mahama orders demolition of buildings on waterways at Mallam Junction
12:25