Nigeria's Buhari to visit South Africa after attacks

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari will visit South Africa next month to reinforce the bonds between the two countries after a wave of deadly riots and xenophobic attacks, the South African presidency said on Saturday.
South Africa’s MTN Group and supermarket chain Shoprite have closed all stores and service centres in Nigeria after their premises were attacked.
Those attacks followed days of riots in South Africa that mainly targeted foreign-owned, including Nigerian, businesses.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Thursday at least 10 people had been killed, two of them foreign nationals, in violence that began in Pretoria and spread to nearby Johannesburg.
Buhari will make a state visit to South Africa in October to help develop responses to the challenges in both countries after Ramaphosa held discussions with Nigeria’s special envoy, the presidency said in a statement.
“The special envoy conveyed President Buhari’s concern at recent events in South Africa, in the context of the strong and cordial relations that characterise the interaction between the two countries,” the presidency said.
It said Buhari’s government planned to act against the targeting of South African assets in Nigeria and reaffirmed relations with South Africa.
The violence in South Africa has stoked concerns about relations between Africa’s two biggest economies. Nigeria said on Thursday it would recall its top diplomat to Pretoria.
Source: Reuters
Trending World
VP's arrest ends South Sudan peace deal, his party says
21:296 dead after tourist submarine sinks in Red Sea
21:26Outrage in Somalia after man says he married missing 8-year-old
15:07Haiti gangs storm town and release 500 inmates from jail
14:43Zimbabwe shuts down amid calls for protests
03:23US deports more alleged gang members to El Salvador
03:19Angola includes 9 national languages in education system for primary schools
23:20Zambians protest over heinous child rape reports
23:22