I’m not interested in Special Prosecutor job – Emile Short

A former Commissioner for the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), Justice Emile Short, has said he is currently enjoying his retirement and will turn down any offer from President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to occupy the position of Special Prosecutor.
The position of Ghana's Special Prosecutor has become vacant following the resignation of Mr Martin Amidu on Monday, 16 November 2020.
Some Ghanaians are already wondering who the President will choose to occupy that high office.
Speaking on State of the Nation with Blessed Sogah on Class91.3FM on Wednesday, 18 November 2020, Mr Short said he is not interested in the position.
He stated: “Nobody knows the outcome of the elections, so, my guess is that the president will appoint someone to replace him [Martin Amidu] before the 7th of December.”
On whether he would accept to become the Special Prosecutor if offered the role, the former CHRAJ Commissioner said: “I would thank the President for the offer but point out to him that I’ve retired, I’ve passed the retirement age to serve in public office and I’m presently enjoying my retirement and I have no intention of going back to public service.”
Touching on allegations from the Office of the President that the buildings allocated to the OSP were all rejected by Mr Amidu, with the reason for the last rejection being on the basis that it had not been inaugurated and also that the keys had been sent to him in an envelope, Mr Short noted that those accusations have raised questions, which the former SP must answer.
“I find that the Office of the President’s letter has raised questions that Mr Amidu ought to answer, as to his conduct in refusing to accept the accommodation allocated to him," he said.
Mr Short also implored the former SP to react to the accusation concerning his seconded staff.
“Now, the use of seconded staff is not unusual in the public service. When CHRAJ was established, we also used seconded staff for our investigations. We used former police officers and other public officers, who were seconded to our office and once employees are seconded to your office, you have total control over them.
"Now, if he claims that some of these employees were compromised, he doesn’t explain how they were compromised, he said that, therefore, the investigations were not being done the way he wanted them to be done. So I think there are a lot of questions which Amidu has to answer in light of the response issued by the office of the President,” Mr Short added.
Mr Amidu resigned citing presidential interference in the discharge of his duties in relations to the Agyapa deal as the reason for his action.
Source: classfmonline.com/Elikem Adiku
Trending News
DVLA CEO expresses gratitude to former colleagues from SSNIT Trust Towers branch
09:50A/R: Military personnel accused of assaulting civilians in Kumasi ‘placed under close arrest’ – GAF
23:45ACEYE's 2025 IGIPTEP outlines top performing gov't institutions, Interior Ministry leads
03:15Gov't to enforce local procurement policy to boost industry – Ato Forson assures AGI
09:12Ghana, IMF begin 4th review mission amid economic reforms
21:48Early learning Breakthrough: New study reveals a scalable path to delivering quality early learning to every child
02:06Defence Minister calls out Assin South MP for allegations against Mahama's administration
03:50A/R: Matthew Opoku Prempeh donates to Adum Blue Light Market fire victims
19:54Heritage Bank collapse: Seidu Agongo opens up about strained relationship with Former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta
16:20President Mahama signs Goldbod Bill into law
03:29